Monday, July 13, 2009

Hands Free Cell Phone

The Oregon Legislature recently adopted a law that will require drivers to use hands-free cell phones effective January 1, 2010. But today I encountered a driver who's ahead of the game!

I was nearing the barn on a straight stretch of two-lane rural road with a large black pickup coming toward me on the opposite side of the road. Barely. He was hugging the center line and I just had bad vibes about the approaching vehicle. So I slowed down and eased toward the fog line on my right. There is no shoulder on this road, just a ditch. So if the black pickup drifted into my lane, I didn't have much room to maneuver.

The truck eased off the center line a smidge as it went by me, and I took a gander at the driver. He had his cell phone in his right hand, and his left hand was out the open window gesturing in accordance with his conversation. Yep, hands free. No hand on the steering wheel!

Now, if people want to do stupid things like that and eliminate themselves from the gene pool when they crash into a tree or concrete abutment, fine. But when an a**#@^$ driver like this guy has no regard for my life, nor the life of other drivers with whom he shares the road, it ticks me off!

Not only was this idiot driving hands free -- he was driving brains free!

No comments: