Monday, October 6, 2008

60th Anniversary

Attended my aunt and uncle's 60th wedding anniversary yesterday. Their children got the ball rolling for a celebration, while nieces and nephews in the area did the footwork. Their eldest son came up from California and eldest daughter from Idaho, and all we cousins (plus family) in Oregon participated. There must have been around 100 people in attendance at the church reception room after services.

My uncle was 20 when they got married and at that time he had to have a parent sign the wedding certificate because he was "under age" -- as did my aunt at 18.

Decorations for the party included fun facts from 1948, such as average wage, house price, cost of milk and gas, and headline events. A collectible page provided information about the wedding. My mother made the wedding gown and "stood" as maid of honor.

My favorite part of the day was the video tape made from old 8mm family films. To see my grandparents alive again -- both were killed by a drunk driver when I was in high school. And my parents in their late 30s. And me with my cousins when we were 9-10 years old. Our family never owned a movie camera, or video camera...so it was a treat for me. Remember when children were dressed up for Easter? Dresses with crinoline slips, hats, gloves, purses, etc. The boys in suits and ties. Anyone remember Ramblers? Station wagons? Flat-top crewcuts?

With the divorce rates we have today...will there even be 50th and 60th wedding anniversaries in the future?

Anyway...good to spend time with extended family -- to see how the little ones have grown and ponder how my cousins have aged but I haven't (?!!).

Oh, and when my couin Fred tells you that I broke my wrist in a brawl at a biker bar -- don't believe him. Although there were saddles and leather chaps....

No comments: