Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Winter Ain't Over Yet


Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we had more snow today. Not too serious here in the burbs, although it was a little slick for walking. Indy, of course, loved it. The real snow continued for about 1-1/2 hours after our walk, then changed to a rain/snow mix. The mix continued into mid afternoon. By the time we finished running errands it was good ol' western Oregon rain.

The next few days promise COLD rain and a chance of snow mixed in. Glad I left Phantom's mid-weight turnout blanket on him.

SPEAKING OF PHANTOM

What a guy.

Whatever I ask of him, he tries to give it. When it's something new or my position isn't correct, he gets anxious. But if I can get out of his way and provide the right cues, Phantom is a wonderful report card. If I've got it right, he gives the correct movement. Not that I'm asking for anything very advanced since I haven't worked with a trainer for years. But still....

I've only owned and ridden two Arabians, but both demonstrated a strong desire to please. If there is a problem with Arabians, it is their nervous anxiety in trying to anticipate what's wanted from them. Once they give you what you wanted and you praise them lavishly, you're in like Flynn.

Give me a desert tent horse any time!

LEGACY, A TALE OF PENNLEAH

I've plotted out what I call "Book II" of the story arc and I've drafted a couple of scenes.

I'm still handwriting my ugly first drafts. It seems the mechanics of using the computer interferes with the flow. My creative quirks include a preference for narrow-ruled 3-ring binder paper which is impossible to come by, so I settle for college-ruled. I must have fine point ballpoint pens -- my handwriting is too small for medium point writing instruments. I write the first draft in black ink. First edits and insertions are written in blue ink. Subsequent revisions and additions are done in green and purple ink (I love Pentel RSVP fine point ballpoint pens). Red ink is reserved for major edits and or directions (insert this chunk on page __). Once the handwritten drafts are completed, I will type them into the computer, editing as I do so. At the end of each session I print out the day's work and add the pages to the binder. Major editing commences once the whole document is printed out.

So I keep plugging away at the story.

No comments: