Thursday, March 3, 2011

Right Place at the Right Time

When Indy has to go, Indy has to go. Rain or shine we head out for his "business trips." Generally I head over to the adjacent neighborhood in the mornings, and in the afternoon we often go to the nearby city park.

Yesterday afternoon we darted out between rain storms for a quick spin around the park. As we were heading home I noticed an odd object in the street. It was near the curb in the bicycle lane. I almost walked on by, but something made we wait for two cars to pass so I could take a closer look.

Imagine my surprise to find a soaked check that had fallen out of the damp wallet that still contained cash and credit cards. I collected both and as soon as I got home I began the online search for the owner.

My initial Facebook search was a bust, but subsequent information provided a variation of her name and -- bingo! We made contact and I was able to place the wallet in her hands this morning. Turns out the owner works nearby and suspects she drove off with the wallet on the roof of her car.

I can only hope that someone would do the same for me in similar circumstances. Sadly, that's not often the case. I shake my head when the news media airs a feel-good story about a good citizen. Decent behavior shouldn't be news - it should be commonplace.

Any way, I'm so glad that I came upon the wallet before it had been ransacked and that I located the rightful owner before she had to cancel all her credit cards.

Many thanks to Indy for demanding his walk at the right time.

4 comments:

Promise said...

I would have done the same thing. And have, on occasions when I worked in retail and someone left a wallet or credit card behind accidentally. It's sad to think that actions like thes are not common place, or even common courtesy, any more.

I can't even sit through the news anymore because there's never any *good* news...and on the rare occasion there is, it is a 30 second spot at the very end.

I still believe, perhaps naively, that there is good in most everyone (there are some exceptions to every rule). But I can't deny that the little nagging thought that it's really just not true anymore occurs to me, also. I am too young to be jaded enough to doubt the good in others...but the world today doesn't seem to be intent on letting me continue to think it, does it?

I don't know about you, but I believe in Karma...and I'm sure you've got some good stuff heading your way!

Janice Grinyer said...

I agree "no good deed goes unpunished"; be ready for some good news or event!

It was great that you just happened to be out that way, right person, right time and of course -

thanks to Indys bladder!

Anonymous said...

Well done!! :)

Horses Are Our Lives said...

I agree, I wished more good deeds were published than all the bad. I would have hated to have to cancel and get new cards, etc, so good for you to act so fast!