Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"Puppy" Play Time


Indy is my current dog and second Sheltie. Lacey, my first Sheltie, adopted me at the Oregon Humane Society and was such a sweetheart I fell in love with the breed. Regrettably, due to illness, Lacey was humanely euthanized a year ago and was placed in the OHS columbarium with our other dogs.

I went Sheltie shopping last fall and was directed to a woman who acted as a liaison between northwest Sheltie breeders and potential dog owners. She connected me with Indy's owners who were seeking a good home for him. It seems he already exceeded the AKC height limit for Shelties at one year of age. Their loss was my gain. I thought I wanted another female, but Indy has proven to be such a character I'm glad he came my way. He obviously had a more loving and stable beginning than Lacey had, as evidenced by his utter lack of concern when under foot.

Horse people are typically dog and cat people, too. I'm not much into cats, although I do love the Critter Control Staff at Canby Equestrian Center (Moe and Romeo). Dogs often accompany their people to the barn and wait patiently while their people "waste time" with the equines. When it is safe to do so, we've started letting our dogs have play time in the arena.

Our current play group is comprised of Indy, Abigail (a cocker puppy), and Breeze (a 5-year-old rescue greyhound). They are hysterical as they run around the arena. Breeze goes into race mode and frequently mistakes Indy for the mechanical rabbit that she once pursued. I think he's finally figured out that he can change direction faster than she can and, when his "cutting horse" moves fail, Breeze runs right past Indy if he stops to sit or lay down.

Today Abigail and Indy had the arena to themselves. Abby is growing like a weed and becoming more sociable and braver as she gets older. She is all over Indy and they take turns chasing each other, although Indy has more stamina at the moment. Abby had us in stitches today when she stalked Indy as he paused to catch his breath. And we were surprised and amused when Indy jumped nearly three feet over Abby who unexpectedly stood up just as he made his leap.

Eddie and Charlie, Jewel & Steve's mini dachshunds, have yet to join the puppy play group at the barn, but we can imagine the dynamic the little "hot dogs" would add to the mix.

As they say, no outfit is complete without a few dog hairs. Or horse hair....

1 comment:

20 meter circle of life said...

I need to bring these wild weenies to a play day. I still have a some vacation days left to use by mid june. I think I need to play hooky.
Our neighboe just got a sheltie, his name is Marly and my boys love to play with him.